Monday, September 28, 2009

Survivors of Sexual and Domestic Violence Share Poetry on Blog Talk Radio



Tonight was open mike night on Voices of Hope on Blog Talk Radio. A survivor emailed the following poem to us. It was read on tonight's show. She wanted to remain anonymous and gave us permission to use the poem.

Voices of Hope on Blog Talk Radio is available for download as a free podcast beginning about 20 minutes after the show. All poetry is the property of the respective authors. Authors are not compensated for usage of their poetry. All works are shared in the spirit of survivors of helping other survivors. Please contact us at voicesofhope@hopeforhealing.org for more information or to submit a poem to be read on the air.

To join us call in to 718.506.1545 from 8:00 pm - 8:30 pm on Monday nights or Tuesdays from 12:00 noon - 12:30 pm. We are in the Eastern time zone.

No computer during the show? No problem! Call in to the above number during the show to listen in.

Here's a copy of the poem that was read tonight. It's guaranteed to knock your socks off!

Is the glass half empty or half full?

Is the glass half empty or half full?
I stare at it and ponder the mystery.
The answer lies deep within myself, my state of mind, my being
The was a time when the glass was full,
Of myself, so sure, so certain
Answers were black and white.
So quick to judge, innocence so fast to die
The night I was raped I wanted to run and hide
I tried to push you off, I begged and I cried.
The once full glass became half empty, inside part of me died.
Wiser, more wary, my eyes opened to pain and to reality.
Is the glass half full or half empty?
The answer to the question is what I seek
Inside of me I know…
The glass is neither half full nor half empty
Each is part of a whole
Two sides of the same coin,
Life versus death,
Innocence versus wisdom,
A rainbow needs sun but it also needs rain,
A valley cannot exist without a mountaintop
In the middle is a plain
Is the glass half full or half empty?
The awakening to the reality is the picture of healing.
Neither can exist without the other.
They are both parts of the whole, a plan complete in its entirety.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is the glass half empty or half full? A beautifully written piece of art; wonderfully expressive, evocative imagery...well done.