Here are a few ideas that can help make that happen. Nothing is fool proof but these tips can help.
- Expect the best and stay focused on it. Life isn't always rosy but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't expect the best. We have the right to expect good things to happen.
- Keep a record. Journaling is a wonderful way to get in touch with ourselves. It also gives us a way to look back on our achievements. And yes, large or small you will have achievements.
- Focus on the positive. Try not to let the negativity get to you. You are smart. You deserve good things. You are valuable. Anyone who tells you differently is usually either lying to you or is jealous of you.
- Set reasonable goals. Setting the goal to become a millionaire is great. It’s just that it’s unachievable for most of us. Begin your success with seemingly small things. Read that book. Take that art class. Do something nice for yourself each week. Write about it in a journal or quickly jot it down on a calendar.
- Don’t put yourself down. As abuse survivors we tend to do that. The world will lie to us enough. Don’t put yourself down. See #2 for why.
- Make good friends. We all need lots of good friends. This year is a good one to strengthen old friendships or make new ones. Look into attending church or volunteering as a way to expand your circle of friends.